An Ancient Fascination
Octopuses and their kin, sea creatures known collectively as cephalopods, have grabbed hold of our collective imagination for thousands of years.
We share this fascination as manifested in art, literature and contemporary culture in “Tentacles: The Astounding Lives of Octopuses, Squid and Cuttlefishes.” Highlights include:
- A steampunk-style sculpture made from raised copper and brass with glass in the Japanese technique called “Tankin.”
- Ancient Minoan pottery replicas painted with cephalopod designs.
- An illustration from Jules Verne’s Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea.
- A drawing of octopuses attacking a fleet of ships, depicted as fact by a French naturalist in 1803.
- A highly detailed drawing of cephalopods by famed naturalist Ernst Haeckel.
- Glass models of squid and octopuses by father-son team of Leopold and Rudolph Blaschka.
- A replica of the famous abstract work, The Birth of the Cephalopods, by Mark Rothko.
- A dramatic depiction of a sea of ammonites 73 million years ago.
- A replica of the intriguing yet slightly disturbing image of Contessa with Squid by Omar Rayyan.
- Cephalopod tattoo art.
We also commissioned San Francisco Bay Area artist Nemo Gould to create three kinetic sculptures for “Tentacles” using found objects. Gould has transformed a jumble of junk into delightful dioramas that carry conservation messages delivered through a sense of wonderment.
“Tentacles" opens April 12.
bong | newcastle, where venom come from
i wish this was eight hours long
Ever wondered what Sleep’s Dopesmoker would sound like if it was being played by Sunn O)))?
Humble eBook Bundle 3 just gets bigger! Now you can get The God Engines by John Scalzi, Bleeding Violet by Dia Reeves, Arcanum 101 by Mercedes Lackey and Rosemary Edghill and To Be or Not To Be by Ryan North when you pay more than the average price.
That brings Humble eBook…
Pay what you want/can for 10 (!) cool DRM free ebooks & donate to charities in the process, you should do it. Trust me, I’m your mom.
The smile of a loved one. Your childhood blanket. A handsome bodyguard to take you in his arms. “Security” can mean a lot of things in this crazy life, but nothing says “security” like Tumblr’s two-factor authentication. It’s available as an option in your Settings page as of right now.
You know how you need two keys to launch a nuclear missile? Two-factor authentication works like that. One key is your password, the other key is your cellular phone, and you need both to access your Tumblr Dashboard.
Keep your Dashboard safe and secure, like you do with your nuclear missile. Learn more about two-factor authentication today.
March 23, 2014: Very sorry to hear about the passing of Gwar frontman, Dave Brockie aka Oderus Urungus. Dave was 50. Oderus was 43 billion years old.
Today’s soundtrack: Gwar Gwar GWARGWARGWAR!
Today’s screening: PHALLUS IN WONDERLAND
Today’s quote: “A lot of bands have tried to do what GWAR does, but no band has ever taken it as far as GWAR has. No one has ever out-sicked us. You think these Walmart behemoths of the music industry like Marilyn Manson or Rob Zombie are really scary people? That they have any kind of revolutionary agenda? All they care about is making money, and hanging out with their director buddies as they throw gala award ceremonies to circle jerk each other into a frenzy. GWAR is where GWAR should be: In the drawer marked filth.”
Today’s ill-advised tattoo: http://tinyurl.com/kqmczyp
Sleep well, sweet Prince.
Cover by Davis Meltzer
Alpha III M2 is a former satellite-based global psychiatric institution for colonists on other Alphane system worlds unable to cope with the stresses of colonisation. The groups have differentiated themselves into caste-like pseudo-ethnicities. The inhabitants have formed seven clans:
- The Pares are people suffering from paranoia. They function as the statesman class.
- The Manses are suffering from mania. They are the most active class, the warrior class.
- The Skitzes are the ones suffering from schizophrenia. They correspond to the poet class,
- The Heebs consist of people suffering from hebephrenia (disorganized schizophrenia). To the other clans, they are useful only for manual labour.
- The Polys suffer from polymorphic schizophrenia. They are the creative members of society, producing new ideas. The children from every clan on Alpha III M2 were born Polys, went to their common, central school as Polys, did not become differentiated until perhaps their tenth or eleventh year. Some never became differentiated, though, hinting that, perhaps, some of them do not actually have mental disorders at all.
- The Ob-Coms are the ones with obsessive-compulsive disorder. They are the clerks and office holders of the society, the ritualistic functionaries, with no original ideas. Their conservatism balances the radical quality of the Polys and gives the society stability.
- The Deps are suffering from clinical depression. The name of their town is Cotton Mather Estates, where they live “in endless dark gloom.”
To the anon who just asked “What Snapcase record should I start with?”
Anyone who tells you anything other than Progression Through Unlearning is out of their tree. Designs For Automation is dope, but it doesn’t maximize stagedives like Progression.
I have to agree.